Reclaim a Life Without Limits
At UofL Health, we’re here to help you find success. Our personalized bariatric surgery program at UofL Health – Mary & Elizabeth Hospital is designed for significant and lasting weight loss. But there’s also so much to gain. Relief from diabetes, hypertension and joint pain. Better sleep and more energy. Renewed confidence. And the freedom to do what you love—whether that’s chasing the kids or running a marathon.
Call 502-361-6059 to learn more information including how to register for a free online weight loss surgery seminar. We’ll walk through the latest options, answer any questions and see if a procedure is right for you.
Why Choose Us?
- Nationally recognized program: Our program has earned accreditation from the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®), among other distinctions. That means you can expect the highest standards of safety and care, right here at home.
- Experience: Our board-certified bariatric surgeons have been fixtures at our hospitals, and in our communities, for more than 15 years. Collectively, they’ve performed more than 4,500 weight loss surgeries, helping men and women throughout Kentucky take back their lives.
- Minimally Invasive and Nonsurgical Options: Our surgeons specialize in the minimally invasive Lap Band System and the non-surgical option, Orbera® Gastric Balloon. That may mean significantly less pain and faster recovery, so you can get started right away on your goals.
- Care for the whole you: Throughout your journey, you’ll have the same dedicated care team—including a program coordinator, registered dietitian, health psychologist, exercise physiologist and other specialists. Together, they’ll help you make the changes you need for lifelong success.
- Supportive setting: You’ll feel a genuine warmth and positive spirit as you discover what’s possible for yourself. We know you can do it, and are here to root you on every step of the way. Our weight loss surgery patients receive four free weeks of services at any of our UofL Health – Healthy Lifestyle Centers, and patients also receive complimentary lifetime access to our program’s registered dietitians.
Diseases & Conditions
Do I Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
While bariatric surgery is not a quick fix, it can be part of a plan to help you achieve significant weight loss, free you from related medical problems and jump start a healthier, more active lifestyle.
Through our weight loss surgery program, we offer bariatric surgery options for life-changing results. And you’ll have the support of a dedicated team throughout your journey—from pre-operative education to long-term follow-up care.
You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 65
- Obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above (calculate your BMI here)
- Struggling with an obesity-related condition like Type 2 diabetes, joint pain, hypertension, heart disease or obstructive sleep apnea
- Have tried or are currently trying to lose weight through other means such as diet and exercise
- Psychologically ready for weight loss surgery and willing to commit to a whole new lifestyle
- Not drug or alcohol dependent
Treatments & Services
Start with a Free Weight Loss Surgery Seminar
If you meet any of the requirements above, be sure to join us for a free informational online seminar. Two board-certified surgeons will explore a full range of weight loss surgery solutions, and answer any questions to help you make the right decision for your life. To learn more, call 502-361-6059 to speak to a weight loss surgery coordinator.
Weight Loss Surgery Options
UofL Health proudly offers a full range of weight loss surgery options, helping people throughout our Kentucky communities reclaim their health and lives.
Our board-certified surgeons perform hundreds of procedures each year, using the latest, most minimally invasive techniques. That may offer several benefits for you, including less pain and scarring, fewer complications, a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery.
Explore more below. Then join us for a free online weight loss surgery seminar. We’ll provide in-depth information on each procedure, and what to expect throughout your journey. To learn more about registering for a seminar, call 502-361-6059.
Proven Procedures for Life-Changing Results
Our specialties include:
- Gastric Banding: This technique uses an inflatable, adjustable ring to create a smaller gastric pouch, limiting the amount of food it will hold at any time. That means you’ll feel comfortably full with less and maintain that fullness for several hours, reducing the urge to eat between meals.
- ORBERA™ Gastric Balloon: This relatively simple, nonsurgical procedure places a temporary balloon in the stomach. It is then filled with saline to help limit the amount of food you eat. After six months, the balloon is removed, after which you’ll continue to receive dietary and lifestyle support.
Which Procedure is Right for You?
Choosing the best procedure involves thorough discussion with your surgeon. Factors include existing medical conditions, medications needed, previous surgeries, desired amount and rate of weight loss, activity level or limitations, eating behaviors and more.
Whichever procedure is right for you, remember that it’s just the start of your commitment to healthier living. We’ll be with you at every step, starting with pre-operative education to make and maintain important dietary and lifestyle changes. Following surgery, we’ll provide ongoing follow-up care and monthly web-based support groups to ensure lasting success.
For more information about weight loss options at UofL Health – Mary & Elizabeth Hospital, call 502-361-6059.
UofL Physicians participates in most major health plans in Kentucky. Coverage may vary by specialty. Coverage limitations are dependent on the terms of your personal health plan. This is not a guarantee that all services you receive will be covered by your health plan. Review your health plan provider directory and/or consult with your plan to confirm coverage.